roasted beef stock
- 6 to 8 pounds beef Bones
- 2 cups diced yellow onions
- 1 cup lisced carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 gallon water
- 10 black peppercorns
- 3 to 4 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Preheat oven to 475°F. Place beef Bones, onions, carrots and celery in roasting pan. Roast in 475°F oven 45 minutes or until browned, turning once. Spread tomato paste over bones; roast 15 minutes. Remove from oven; drain fat.
- Place bones and vegetables in large stock pot. Scrape bottom of roasting pan to loosen any brown bits; add to stock pot. Add water; bring to boil. Add peppercorns, parsley, garlic, thyme and bay leaves to stock pot. Simmer stock 8 to 10 hours, occasionally skimming off impurities.
Cook's Tip: Beef flavor will intensify the longer the stock cooks.
- Remove stock pot from heat; cool 15 minutes. Strain stock through cheesecloth-lined colander into large bowl.
- Beef stock may be portioned into multiple containers and frozen for up to 6 months.
Cook's Tip: Beef stock may be used in any recipe that calls for beef broth.
Nutrition information per serving: 38 Calories; 0g Total Fat; 0g Saturated Fat; 0g Monounsaturated Fat; 0mg Cholesterol; 61mg Sodium; 9g Total carbohydrate; 1g Protein; 0.5mg Iron; 0.3mg Niacin; 0.1mg Vitamin B6; 6mg Choline; 0mcg Vitamin B12; 0.2mg Zinc; 0.5mcg Selenium; 2.1g Fiber.