beef brisket with savory carrots and dried plums
- 1 beef Brisket Flat Half Boneless (2 1/2 to 3 1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 5 cups sliced or baby carrots (1/4 inch)
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces pitted dried plums
- Heat oil in stock pot over medium heat until hot. Place beef Brisket in stockpot; brown evenly. Remove brisket. Pour off drippings, if necessary.
- Add onion to stock pot; cook and stir 5 minutes or until tender. Add 1 cup water; cook 1 to 2 minutes until browned bits attached to skillet are dissolved. Return brisket; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly. Simmer 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 hours. Add carrots, brown sugar, lemon juice, salt, cinnamon, pepper and prunes; continue cooking, covered, 30 or until brisket is fork-tender. Remove brisket and carrots; keep warm.
- Bring cooking liquid to a boil, uncovered, over medium-high heat 5-7 minutes or until liquid is reduced to 1 cup and prunes are plumped. Trim fat from brisket; carve diagonally across the grain. Serve with carrots, prunes and sauce.
NUTRITION INFORMATION 285 Calories; 63 Calories from fat; 7g Total Fat (2.7 g Saturated Fat; 0.17 g Trans Fat; 0.3 g Polyunsaturated Fat; 2.9 g Monounsaturated Fat;) 78.2 mg Cholesterol; 325.7 mg Sodium; 25.1 g Total Carbohydrate; 3.6 g Dietary Fiber; 29.2 g Protein; 2.8 mg Iron; 597.2 mg Potassium; 5 mg Niacin; 0.4 mg Vitamin B6; 2.1 mcg Vitamin B12; 6.8 mg Zinc; 27.2 mcg Selenium; 112.7 mg Choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of Protein, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Zinc, Selenium, and Choline; and a good source of Dietary Fiber, Iron, and Potassium.