autum harvest braised beef brisket
- 1 beef Brisket Flat Half Boneless (2 1/2 to 3 1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup cran-apple, cranberry or apple juice, divided
- 3 to 4 medium red apples (such as Jonathan, Red Delicious, Jazz or Fuji), cored, cut into 16 wedges each (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 3/4 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Combine cumin and cinnamon; rub over beef Brisket. Heat oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown Brisket; season beef with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Add 3/4 cup juice and garlic to stockpot; bring liquid to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 hours. Add apples and cranberries to stockpot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 to 25 minutes or until Brisket and apples are fork-tender, stirring and rearranging apples once during cooking.
- Remove Brisket; keep warm. Combine remaining 1/4 cup juice and cornstarch; stir cornstarch mixture into apple mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil 1 to 2 minutes or until mixture has thickened, stirring frequently.
- Trim fat from Brisket. Carve diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Season with salt and pepper, as desired. Serve beef with apple mixture.
Nutrition information per serving, 3 oz serving, 1/6 of recipe: 347 Calories; 90 Calories from fat; 10g Total Fat (2 g Saturated Fat; 4 g Monounsaturated Fat;) 83 mg Cholesterol; 52 mg Sodium; 35 g Total Carbohydrate; 4.5 g Dietary Fiber; 29 g Protein; 3.5 mg Iron; 7.3 mg Niacin; 0.3 mg Vitamin B6; 2.1 mcg Vitamin B12; 6.9 mg Zinc; 29.4 mcg Selenium; 108.5 mg Choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of Dietary Fiber, Protein, Iron, Niacin, Vitamin B12, Zinc, Selenium, and Choline; and a good source of Vitamin B6.